Family Child Care Licensing Facts

Answers to some common questions:

1. How many children may I care for?
The most common license - Class A - provides for a total of 10 children (including your own children): no more than 6 of these under school age - no more than 3 under 2 years old - no more than 2 under 12 months old.  If this is your first time being licensed you must apply for a Class A.  After one year of successful licensure in the Class A category, you may apply for other classifications. 

2. Do I need to own my own home?
No, but if you are renting you need permission from the landlord, and you must check with your city’s zoning to verify that day cares may operate in multiple dwelling apartments. Your landlord will have to sign the fire inspection permission form before the inspection can be done.

3. What training do I need to have?
No training is required to apply for a license; however, once you are licensed, child related First Aid, CPR, and child development training is required. First Aid and CPR courses taken within one year prior to licensing meet the first year's requirements. If you are caring for infants, you must take a 1 hour class in SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) Prevention prior to caring for infants.   This requirement pertains to the license holder as well as any caregivers who have direct contact with infants in care.   A more detailed explanation of training requirements will be discussed at your initial licensing visit. 

4. Can I start doing day care before I am licensed?
Yes - while your license is pending, you must remain at the legal limit for unlicensed care, which is no more than 1 non-related family.

5. Is there a fee for orientation or licensing?                                                                       

Yes, there is a fee of $50.00 due at the time the licensing application is submitted.   A check or money order in the amount of $50.00 made payable to Lake of the Woods County Social Services must accompany all applications.  

6. Does my yard need to be fenced in?
Only if you are located on a busy street or where there are hazards nearby (railroad tracks, open water,...). The licensor determines this at the home visit.

7.  What do I need to do to get my house ready?                                                                       

A home safety check list will be given to you at your initial licensing visit.  A social worker will inspect your home and go over this check list at your final licensing visit. 

8. Who will be inspecting my home?
A fire inspection will be needed if you have an attached garage, plan to use your basement, live in a multiple dwelling (apartment, townhome,...), or there are related fire safety issues.  The fee for a fire inspection is $50 and this process can take up to two months.  Usually two visits to the home by a social worker will be necessary.

The Lake of the Woods County Website is intended for general information usage only. The viewer understands that, while every effort will be made to keep this site current, changes and incorrect information are possible. Therefore, it is suggested that direct contact be made to the proper county department for specific information.
© 2009 LAKE OF THE WOODS COUNTY Web Design by 13 Below Consulting