Skip to content



Adult Services case management is a collaborative process of assessment, planning, facilitation, care coordination, evaluation, and advocacy for options and services to meet an individual’s comprehensive health needs through communication, personal choice and available resources.

Adult Foster Care

The Lake of the Woods County licensing unit, as agents of the Minnesota State Department of Human Services, are responsible for licensing and monitoring adult foster care providers within our county.

What is Adult Foster Care?

Adult foster care is a licensed living arrangement in a home that provides food, lodging, supervision and household services for qualified individuals. Also available is assistance with personal care and medication. Adult foster care providers are primary caregivers for adults who cannot live alone. Caregivers are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human services through Lake of the Woods County.

Becoming Licensed

If you are interested in applying for an adult foster care license or would like someone to discuss the program with you, please call 218-634-2642 and ask to speak with the adult foster care licensing worker, Joanna Onstad. Or send an email inquiry to:

The Licensing Process requires, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Background Study
  • Home Inspection by licensor
  • Three reference letters
  • Completed application and fact sheet
  • Orientation Training
  • Home study
  • Possible inspection by State Fire Marshal
  • Ongoing training hours
  • Understanding of MN Rule and Statutes
  • Completion of training hours 


Association of Residential Resources in Minnesota

Minnesota Foster Care Association

National Foster Parent Association

Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting

Minnesota has a new central system for reporting suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults:

For questions about adult protection: 218.634.2642

To report a vulnerable adult situation

For an immediate response—24 hours a day, seven days a week—call 844.880.1574 to reach the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center.

If a vulnerable adult is in immediate danger call 911

Mandated reporters should follow these Mandated Reporter Vulnerable Adult Reporting Instructions for reporting. 

The Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center refers maltreatment reports to the lead investigative agency within the appropriate jurisdiction: Lake of the Woods County Adult Protection Services, the Office of Health Facility Complaints, the Minnesota Department of Human Services Licensing Division, or law enforcement, depending on where the maltreatment occurred and whether or not criminal activity is suspected. 

Do not use email in an emergency situation when making a vulnerable adult report.

About adult protection

A vulnerable adult is any person, 18 or older, who receives services from a licensed healthcare facility or home care or personal care assistance provider in Minnesota, or who requires assistance to provide for his or her own care. This person is also unable or unlikely to report maltreatment because of a physical or mental limitation. 

Facts about the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center 

Supported decision making / guardian & conservator

WINGS- Working Interdisciplinary Networks of Guardianship Stakeholders

Volunteers of America 

Minnesota Association of Guardianship & Conservatorship

Chemical dependency services include chemical use assessments and recommendations, as well as referrals for detoxification, treatment, and other recovery support programs.

Chemical Use Assessments:

Chemical use assessments consist of an interview with a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor.  Please contact a treatment provider in Minnesota to schedule your assessment.  Local treatment providers include:

  • Riverview Recovery – Roseau, MN  218-463-3447
  • Rainy River Recovery – International Falls, MN   218-285-7029
  • Bemidji Area Program for Recovery (BAPR) – Bemidji, MN   218-444-5155
  • Northland Counseling – International Falls, MN   218-283-3406

Local Support Group Meetings:


Sunday 7pm: Government Center Commissioner’s Room

Monday 6pm: Congregational Church

Tuesday 7pm: Cornerstone Church

Tuesday 7pm:  Evangelical Covenant Church

Thursday 6pm: Congregational Church                      

Friday 7pm: Cornerstone Church   


Monday 8pm:St. Joseph’s Catholic Church 

Narcotics Anonymous:

Sunday 7pm: First Lutheran Church in Baudette 

Online Support Resources:

Local Detoxification Services: 

Local Outpatient Treatment:

  • Rainy River Recovery – International Falls, MN 218-285-7029                                   
  • Riverview Recovery – Roseau, MN  218-463-3447
  • Bemidji Area Program for Recovery (BAPR) – Bemidji, MN  218-444-5155
  • Northland Counseling – International Falls, MN   218-283-3406

Other Resources: 

Driving with Care Education Class: Nystrom & Associates Driving With Care: or 1-844-697-8766

MADD Victim Impact Panel: MADD Victim Impact Panel: 

Services for seniors

Phone: 218.634.2642

Our services help seniors who reside in Lake of the Woods County live as independently as possible. We work to make sure seniors and their families know the resources available to help them from the county, state and federal government.

We offer assistance through phone consultations, in-person service assessments, and support planning. For individuals accessing certain community based programs, case management support may also be provided.

Elderly waiver

The elderly waiver funds home and community-based services for people age 65 and older who are eligible for medical assistance, if they require the level of care provided in a nursing home but choose to reside in the community.

Elderly Waiver program information

Elderly waiver fact sheet

Alternative care

The alternative care program supports certain home and community-based services for eligible Minnesotans, age 65 and older. This cost-sharing program provides home and community-based services to help seniors delay and prevent the transition from care in their homes to nursing facility level of care.

The program shares the cost of care with seniors and helps them to make best use of the resources they have. The end goal is to prevent seniors from falling into poverty.

Alternative Care program information

Alternative Care fact sheet

Request a MnCHOICES assessment to see if this program is right for you.

Essential community supports

Essential Community Supports are community-based services for people who do not meet nursing facility level of care (NF LOC) criteria and who meet financial eligibility criteria for the Alternative Care Program.

The Essential Community Supports program may be available to you if you need services to live in the community and meet certain eligibility rules. It is designed for people who do not need the level of care provided in a nursing home. You may qualify for up to $424 a month for services and supports.

Essential Community Supports program information

Request a MnCHOICES assessment to learn if this program is right for you

Relocation service coordination

Relocation service coordination (RSC) is a type of case management to help people who want to move out of certain institutions into the community. RSC helps people plan and arrange for the services and supports they need to live in the community.

Relocation Service Coordination program information 

Moving Home Minnesota: Helping people move from institutions to community living

Hospice Care

Hospice of the Red River Valley is now providing hospice care in Lake of the Woods County.  To find out more or set up services call 800-237-4629 or email


Senior Life Solutions provided through CHI Lakewood Health offers group, individual and family therapy to seniors experiencing depression and/or anxiety related to life changes associated with aging.  Call 218-634-5372 for more information, to make an appointment, or to refer someone.


Decorative Line


Amy S. Ballard
206 8th Ave SE, Suite #200

PHONE: 634-2642
FAX: 634-4520

Decorative Line


Please fill out our satisfaction survey by clicking the button below.

Decorative Line


The Social Services Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. To file a child protection report after hours, call Law Enforcement at 218-634-1143 or our after hours children’s emergency response number at 218-395-0177. We accept collect calls before 4:30 pm.