Skip to content



Lake of the Woods County Social Services provides programs and quality services that support dignity and self-sufficiency.

A division of Social Services, the Lake of the Woods County Financial Assistance Unit provides support to low-income residents of Lake of the Woods County. It determines eligibility for public assistance programs such as:

  • SNAP
  • Cash Assistance
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Health Care Programs (see below for important renewal information!)

Please see the tabs below for more information about each of these programs.

To provide documents or contact a member of the financial assistance team with questions, email us at



The SNAP program is a county-run, federal program that helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food that’s needed for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals.  The program provides support to help stretch your household food budget.  It is not intended to meet all of your household’s food needs.  It is a supplement.  Click here for more information.

Expedited SNAP is available to the following types of households:

  • Those with less than $150 in monthly gross income and $100 or less in liquid assets
  • Destitute migrant or seasonal farm worker units who have $100 or less in liquid assets
  • Households where the combined monthly gross income and liquid assets are less than actual monthly housing and utility costs (or the standard utility allowance if the household is entitled to it)

SNAP eligibility depends on your household’s size, income, and expenses.  Lake of the Woods County Social Services accepts client applications, determines eligibility, and determines benefit levels in accordance with state and federal regulations.  The SNAP program is available in all 87 Minnesota counties.  To see if you may qualify, use the SNAP Screening Tool.

To Apply for SNAP:

  • Apply in-person. Applications can be provided and submitted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Interviews for SNAP can be conducted in person or over the telephone.
  • To request an application be mailed to you, please call our office at 218-634-2642 to speak to an eligibility worker.  Collect calls are accepted.
  • Apply online: MNbenefits is a simple, secure Web application that connects you with state and county services to help meet your and your family’s basic needs.
  • Fax, mail or drop off an application at our office at:

Lake of the Woods County Social Services
206 8th Ave Se Suite 200  Baudette, MN 56623.
Fax: 218-634-4520

*To drop off an application after hours, there is a blue drop box located next to the front door.

The date the county receives the first page of the Combined Application Form determines the earliest date that benefits can begin.  

Your application will be assigned to an eligibility worker right away. An interview is required and can be done over the phone. 

  • If you provided a phone number on your application, the eligibility worker will call you to schedule the interview.  
  • If you have not provided a phone number or the eligibility worker is unable to reach you, a letter will be sent to you scheduling the interview.

Most food benefits are distributed through Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT), which is similar to a debit card.  Each month, your EBT account is credited with your benefits.  Click here for Benefit Dates.  

Your card can be used to purchase food at enrolled grocery stores.  You swipe your EBT card through a point-of-sale terminal and the purchases are deducted from your account balance.  You may authorize an additional person to use your EBT card.  How to use your EBT Card

SNAP benefits can be used to buy food, plants, and seeds to grow food for you or your family.  It can also be used online to purchase groceries.  EBT Online Purchasing

You can check your EBT balance online at, by phone (1-888-997-2227), or on the ebtEDGE Mobile App.

Lost or stolen EBT card? Report immediately and request a replacement

  • To request a replacement EBT card, call customer service: (888) 997-2227
  • Replacement cards cannot be issued at our office.
  • Replacement cards will be mailed to you by DHS and are typically received within 5 days

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil
rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of
race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious
creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with
disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information
(e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency
(state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or
have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027,
USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online
at:, from any USDA office, by
calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the
complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged
discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
(ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027
form or letter must be submitted to:

1. mail:
Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
Alexandria, VA 22314; or
2. fax:
(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Lake of the Woods County Social Services offers a number of programs to supplement families’ and individuals’ incomes.  The type of assistance people receive depends on their life circumstances, family size and type, and other factors.  We can help you find the program that works best for you.


The Diversionary Work Program (DWP) is a four-month program that helps Minnesota parents find jobs.  The goal is to help parents quickly find work so that they do not need to go on the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP).  When families first apply for cash assistance, most will be enrolled in this program.  Participants get help paying for housing and other bills, along with employment services to help them find full-time work.

Participants work with a job counselor to develop an employment plan before benefits can be issued.  In a two-parent family, both must participate, and each family member must have a social security number or have applied for one.

Participants may also be eligible for other programs, including food support, health care programs, child care assistance and child support.

The amount of each family’s cash grant depends on the number of people in the family, monthly household needs, personal needs allowance, and countable income.  Applicants must provide verification of income and expenses (including phone, rent/mortgage, and utilities).

See the DWP Orientation Presentation for more information.

Emergency assistance programs are short-term assistance (usually a one-time payment) for people experiencing a financial hardship such as an eviction or utility shutoff.  Any income not needed for basic needs will be considered available to meet the emergency as well as any cash or other assets you might have.

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance (EA) provides short-term help for qualifying families faced with an unexpected emergency expense, such as an eviction, utility disconnect, foreclosure, or loss from a fire.  Emergency Assistance can only be available to families whose income is below 200 percent of the prior year’s federal poverty guidelines and can only be issued once in a 12-month period.  Emergency Assistance is for households with minor children residing in the home. 

Emergency General Assistance

Emergency General Assistance (EGA) is a short-term program used primarily for single individuals or couples without children.  Like Emergency Assistance, Emergency General Assistance can only be available to individuals and families whose income is below 200 percent of the prior year’s federal poverty guideline and can be issued only once in a 12-month period. The Emergency General Assistance program is used primarily for rent and utilities.

Applicants must complete an application and attend an in person interview for the agency to determine eligibility. 

The General Assistance (GA) program provides cash assistance for single adults without children who have a serious illness, disability or other issue that limits their ability to work.

Participants must:

  • have lived in Minnesota for at least 30 days
  • be unable to work for at least 45 days
  • have little or no income or other resources
  • not be receiving Supplemental Security Income
  • not have a minor, dependent child living in the household

People who receive GA also may qualify for federal disability benefits, such as Social Security or Veterans benefits, and are encouraged to apply.  Learn more about federal disability benefits.

For more information about disability benefits, explore the Disability Hub

Formerly Group Residential Housing (GRH), Housing Support is a cash program that pays for room and board costs for adults with low incomes who have a disability or are 65 years of age or older.  Recipients live in licensed facilities or authorized community-based settings.  This does not include shelters or medical care facilities.  The program aims to reduce and prevent institutional residence or homelessness. 

Housing support grants are paid directly to the facility in which you are living.  Depending on your income, you may have to pay a portion of the Housing Support housing rate directly to your housing provider. 

The program can also pay for additional supportive services in some settings.

The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) helps families with children meet their basic needs, while helping parents move to financial stability through work.  Parents are expected to work, and are supported in working with both cash and food assistance.  Most families have a lifetime limit of 60 months on MFIP.

MFIP helps families by providing assistance with: 

  • cash income supplement
  • food support
  • child care costs
  • health care coverage
  • employment services

The goal of MFIP is to reduce long-term public assistance use and to encourage personal responsibility.

Families may be referred to MFIP when they first apply for assistance or after they finish four months of the Diversionary Work Program.  It can take up to 30 days to process an MFIP application. 

MFIP supports work. The program provides help with child care costs and medical coverage, in some cases as long as a year after the family transitions out of the program.  Income-earning families also may receive additional incentives.

MFIP encourages personal responsibility.  For most participants, program expectations include developing an employment plan with an employment services counselor.  Failure to cooperate with program requirements can result in sanctions.  The program has a 60-month lifetime limit.

MFIP orientation requirements for participation.  If you participate in MFIP you are required to read the complete MFIP Orientation Presentation.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) provides cash assistance to help adults who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pay for their basic needs.  Some people who are blind, have a disability or are older than 65 but do not get SSI because their other income is too high, may also be eligible for MSA if they meet the income limit.

The monthly benefit may also cover special needs payments for people who qualify.  Special needs payments may be provided for medically prescribed diets, guardian or conservator fees, some home repairs or replacement of household furniture and appliances, and some high housing costs.

MSA Housing Assistance also may be available for qualifying MSA recipients to help pay for high housing costs.

People who receive MSA also may qualify for federal disability benefits and are encouraged to apply.  Learn more about federal disability benefits.

For more information about disability benefits, explore the Disability Hub.

Refugee cash assistance (RCA) provides monthly cash benefits to single adults and married couples without minor children who have arrived in the United States with humanitarian protection. The monthly benefits are for up to eight months after the date of arrival in the United States or after the date the eligible status was granted. RCA is available to people who meet income eligibility and have one of the following immigration status:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum
  • Iraqi or Afghani Special Immigrant Visa
  • Victim of human trafficking
  • Amerasian
  • Cuban or Haitian entrant

To Apply for Cash:

  • Apply in-person. Applications can be provided and submitted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  
  • To request an application be mailed to you, please call our office at 218-634-2642 to speak to an eligibility worker.
  • Apply online: MNbenefits is a simple, secure Web application that connects you with state and county services to help meet your and your family’s basic needs.
  • Fax, mail or drop off an application at our office at:

Lake of the Woods County Social Services
206 8th Ave Se Suite 200  Baudette, MN 56623.
Fax: 218-634-4520

*To drop off an application after hours, there is a blue drop box located next to the front door.

The date the county receives the first page of the Combined Application Form determines the earliest date that benefits can begin.

Your application will be assigned to an eligibility worker right away.  

  • If you provided a phone number on your application, the eligibility worker will call you to schedule an interview.  
  • If you have not provided a phone number, a letter will be sent to you scheduling an interview.


RENEWALS HAVE RESTARTED!!   Keeping your health care coverage is important.  Go to to find out what steps you need to take to renew your coverage.

Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP) provide health care coverage to eligible families with children, adults, people with disabilities and seniors.  These programs have income and asset limits that depend on your age, who you live with, and whether you are pregnant, blind or have a disability.  They offer comprehensive coverage including medical, dental and vision benefits.

Medical Assistance (MA)

Medical Assistance is a federal health insurance program for low-income Minnesota residents. It is Minnesota’s name for Medicaid.  MA may pay for qualifying persons’ medical, dental and prescription bills for three months prior to application, as well as current and future medical expenses. You must meet program rules to receive coverage.  If your income is more than the limit, you may still qualify and you should apply.

For Eligibility and Benefit Information.

MinnesotaCare (MCRE)

Minnesotacare is a state-subsidized health care program for persons who do not have any other health care insurance.  It is for single people and families who do not get MA. If they meet income, residence and insurance guidelines, they pay a monthly premium for insurance based on family size, income and number of persons covered.  Coverage begins the month after the first premium is paid.

Premiums can be paid 

  • online 
  • over the phone (800-657-3672) 
  • by mail to:
    PO Box 64834
    St. Paul, MN 55164-0834 

For Eligibility and Benefit Information.

Medical Assistance (MA)

Medical Assistance is a federal health insurance program for low-income Minnesota residents.  It is Minnesota’s name for Medicaid.  MA may pay for qualifying persons’ medical, dental and prescription bills for three months prior to application, as well as current and future medical expenses.  There are eligibility requirements for the program including income and asset limits, insurance coverage and other factors.  If your income is more than the limit, you may still qualify and you should apply.  

For Eligibility and Benefit Information

Medicare Savings Programs (Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries, Service Limited Medical Beneficiaries, Qualified Individuals)

If you are enrolled or eligible to enroll in Medicare, you may be eligible for one of these programs. These programs will help pay for your Medicare premiums. 

For Eligibility and Benefit Information

Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) 

This program allows working people with disabilities to qualify for Medical Assistance under higher income and asset limits.  It is intended to encourage persons with disabilities to work and enjoy the financial benefits of being employed.  Recipients pay a premium based on income.  

Premiums can be paid 

  • online
  • by mail to:
    P.O. Box 64835
    St. Paul, MN 55164-0835.

For Eligibility and Benefit Information

Medical Assistance for Long-Term Care Services (MA-LTC) 

MA-LTC helps with the cost of nursing home services.  

It can also provide coverage through home and community-based services waiver programs for people who need extra help to stay at home instead of moving to a nursing home or other medical facility.  These programs include:

Home and community-based services waiver programs help people get coverage for things like additional medical supplies and equipment, help with daily living activities, case management, counseling and other services not covered through regular MA.  

Federal and state law require the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) and local agencies to recover costs that the MA program pays for its members under certain circumstances.  They collect these costs in two ways: estate recovery and liens.

For information regarding Estate Recovery and Liens.

Everyone who has MinnesotaCare and many people who have Medical Assistance (MA) must enroll in a health plan.

Managed care is a system for providing health care benefits through health plans. People enrolled in a health plan must get their medical care through the health plan. The health plan may require you to:

  • Choose a primary care clinic, which will coordinate all your care
  • Get a referral from your primary care clinic before you see a specialist
  • Get all your care from participating providers

For general information about health plan enrollment, see the Managed Care Enrollment Guide (PDF).

People age 65 and older must enroll in a health plan. You will get information in the mail to help you choose a Minnesota SeniorCare Plus (MSC+) health plan. If you have Medicare and want to get all of your Medicare and Medical Assistance services through one health plan, you can choose to enroll in a Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO) health plan.

People who have disabilities and have MA, with or without Medicare, may choose to enroll in a Special Needs BasicCare (SNBC) health plan.

Check out FAQs about health plans for help with common questions.

Health Plans currently available in Lake of the Woods County include BluePlus, UCare, and Medica.  To find out more about what each plan offers, explore their websites or call member services.

Please note: Plan choices and options may be different for disabled adults and seniors age 65 and over.  Information will be mailed to everyone who needs to choose a plan.


To ensure that applicants/recipients of Medical Assistance (MA), and MinnesotaCare pregnant women and children under 21 years of age are provided with or reimbursed for the appropriate level of needed transportation and other travel related expenses to enable them to access necessary medical treatment. County and tribal local agency non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) services are available to transport the recipient to and from medically necessary services received from participating providers of services covered under the MA and MinnesotaCare programs.

How Does it Work?

MHCP recipients who have a vehicle and are able to drive, or who have a friend or family member who could drive them, must transport themselves to their health care appointments and may be reimbursed for their mileage.  Please note that traveling outside the 30/60 mile transportation limits must be prior approved by Lake of the Woods County Social Services.  The LOW County Medical Referral Form may need to be completed by your primary care clinic to verify that the appointment is medically necessary and cannot be done at a closer facility. 

Exception: In case of an emergency contact your worker within 5 working days or as soon as possible after the emergency.  

Please read LOW County Access Service and Appendix A – Reimbursements for more information.

Those without a vehicle, unable to drive themselves, and unable to secure a ride through a friend or family member, may be able to obtain a ride through Lake of the Woods County.  If you are already enrolled in a managed health care plan, call your health plan for approval prior to reaching out to the county.

  • Blue Plus (BlueRide): 651-662-8648 or toll free 1-866-340-8648
  • UCare (HealthRide): 612-676-6830 or toll free 1-800-864-2157
  • Medica (Provide-A-Ride): 952-992-2580 or toll free 1-888-347-3630

ALL appointments must be recorded in the travel book prior to the appointment in order to receive reimbursement.  To do this, call Lake of the Woods County Social Services at 218-634-2642 with the date, time, and location of your appointment.


To be reimbursed for your non-emergency medical transportation mileage, the Lake of the Woods County Medical Mileage Form must be completed and submitted within 60 days of the date of service.  All sections of the form must be completed and it must be signed by the client, driver, and health care provider.  Payments will be made within 30 days of receipt by Lake of the Woods County if properly itemized and items are verified.

For more information: Mileage Reimbursement Q and A 

If you receive a bill from your provider, first check your bill to make sure it was submitted to your insurance.  If you are unable to determine this by looking at the bill, call your provider to ask.  If the bill has been submitted to your insurance and was denied, please see below.

If you are enrolled in a health plan for your MA or MinnesotaCare coverage, you have several options for resolving problems.

If you have MA and are not enrolled in a health plan, your care is provided through what is called fee-for-service. This means that providers bill the state directly.   For help with billing issues, you can:

For those enrolled in BCBS of MN SecureBlue (MSHO), Blue Plus now has a form which can be used to receive reimbursement for:

  • Part D covered vaccines received in a clinic setting or
  • Self-administered medications while in a hospital during an observation stay or in the Emergency Room

This form and instructions can be accessed here.

There are many ways to apply for health care assistance through a Minnesota Health Care Program.  


If you are:

  • 65 years of age or older.
  • Only requesting help with Medicare costs.
  • A child in foster care.
  • 21 years of age or older with no dependents and have Medicare coverage.
  • Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • Applying for Medical Assistance for Employed Person with Disabilities (MA-EPD).

Download the Application for Certain Populations (DHS 3876)

If you are:

  • A person who lives in or may need to move to a nursing home.
  • A person with a disability or age 65 or older who would like services to help you stay in your home.

Download the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Payment of Long-Term Care Services (DHS 3531).

If you are:

  • Not described above 

Apply for health care coverage through MNsure, Minnesota’s health insurance marketplace.  Use the online application at MNsure or download the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (DHS-6696).

By Phone

Request an application form by calling 218-634-2642.  When you call for an application, you will need to give the following information: Your name, full postal address and zip code, phone number where you can be reached in case we have questions, the type of assistance you are requesting, and whether you are single or have children under age 21 living with you.

In Person

Pick up applications at the county office:

Lake of the Woods County Social Services
206 8th Ave Se Suite 200 Baudette, MN 56623

Submitting an Application

Mail, fax or drop off your application at:

Lake of the Woods County Social Services
206 8th Ave Se Suite 200
Baudette, MN 56623
Fax: 218-634-4520

Your application will be assigned to a financial worker right away. Please answer all questions on the application.


Bridge to Benefits is a project by Children’s Defense Fund-Minnesota to improve the well-being of families and individuals by linking them to public work support programs and tax credits. 

Use the Bridge to Benefits Eligibility Screening Tool to see if you or someone else may be eligible for one of the following public work support programs:

  • Health Insurance Programs:
    • Medical Assistance (MA)
    • MinnesotaCare
    • Advanced Premium Tax Credits
  • Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP, Basic Sliding Fee)
  • Early Learning Scholarships
  • Energy Assistance Program (EAP, LIHEAP)
  • School Meal Program (Free and Reduced School Meals)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Support)
  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Working Family Credit (WFC)

Located at: 
The Lighthouse
106 2nd St NE
Baudette, MN 56623

Food Distribution is the 3rd Thursday of each month from 2pm until 4pm.

For more information, call 218-634-3275 or check out their facebook page!

Ruby’s Pantry is for anyone looking to extend their monthly grocery budget.  Each guest pays a $25 cash donation and receives an abundance of grocery items.  There is no income or residency requirement.

Distribution is on the first Thursday of each month from 5pm-7pm at the LOW School Bus Garage.

If you would like to volunteer to help with distribution, please sign up online at

For more information, please check out their Facebook page or website.  For questions or concern, call 218-634-2064 or reach out through the Facebook page.

Women Infant Children Program (WIC) is a nutrition and breastfeeding program that helps young families eat well and be healthy. WIC can help:

  • Pregnant women learn about nutritious foods for a healthy pregnancy and birth.
  • Support breastfeeding and help new moms meet their breastfeeding goals.
  • Families provide nutritious foods to their young children so they are healthy, happy and ready to learn.

WIC is offered through:
LakeWood Public Health
600 Main Ave S
Baudette, MN 56623

Phone: (218) 634-1795

For more information about WIC.

Northwest Community Action Energy Assistance Program (EAP) provides a financial grant to assist with heating costs to households who qualify, crisis intervention for threat of or no heat situations, energy-related repairs for home heating systems and referrals to weatherization and other human service providers.

Households can apply for energy assistance from October 1 thru June 1.  Complete the application online, contact NWCA at (800) 568-5329, or request an application from Lake of the Woods County Social Services.

Applications can be submitted to:

NWCA, Inc.
PO Box 67
​Badger, MN 56714

For more information about EAP

Paul Bunyan Transit provides safe, friendly, efficient and economical delivery of public transit service to residents within Beltrami, Lake of the Woods and Roseau County.  In Baudette they provide service to the Lake Road, the Clementson area and 6 miles south of Baudette.  They also have started providing service to Pitt, Graceton and Williams.

Paul Bunyan Transit is the most reliable and economic way to get around town or the county. Just call 844-452-0407 (Ext 1 then 1) in Baudette and they will pick you up and drop you off within the service area for a nominal fare.

Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.

For more information about Paul Bunyan Transit

Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota (LSNM) provides free legal help on non-criminal issues to low-income families and individuals to help them protect their basic needs such as income, health, housing and families.

215 4th Street Northwest
Bemidji, MN 56601, USA

Toll Free: 1-800-450-8585

For Information on Eligibility and How to Apply.

For questions or to make an appointment, please contact the Veteran’s Service Officer for Lake of the Woods County:

Roderick Rone Jr.
311 3rd Ave SE
Baudette, MN 56623

Phone: (218) 634-2219

For information on claims processing for veterans’ benefits from the US Department of Veterans Affairs and the Minnesota Dept of Veterans Affairs see:

The Senior LinkAge Line® is a free statewide service of the Minnesota Board on Aging in partnership with Minnesota’s area agencies on aging. The Senior LinkAge Line assists older Minnesotans and caregivers, by connecting them to local services, finding answers and getting the help they need.  Seniors can call the Senior LinkAge Line at 800-333-2433 or email

For more information about the SLL.

Hospice of the Red River Valley

Call: 800-237-4629, available 24/7, including weekends and holidays



Disability Hub MN is a free statewide resource network that helps people with disabilities solve problems, navigate the system and plan for their future. It provides them with the options and tools for managing their health, benefits, work, housing and more.  People with disabilities can call the Disability HUB MN at 866-333-2466.

For more information about Disability HUB MN.

Founded in 1978, Violence Free Minnesota is a statewide coalition of over 90 member programs working to end relationship abuse. Previously known as the Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women (MCBW), Violence Free Minnesota represents victims/survivors of relationship abuse and member programs; challenges systems & institutions; promotes social change; and supports, educates, and connects member programs.

For more information on Violence Free Minnesota.

Programs provided in Lake of the Woods County:

Friends Against Abuse

Business Line: (218) 285-7220

Crisis Line: (866) 778-6059

Retirement, Disability, Survivors Benefits, SSI, Medicare.  

Go to

Local Field Office:
2900 Hannah Ave NW
Bemidji, Minnesota 56601

Phone: 1-866-258-6345 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) 
Hours: Monday – Friday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

National toll-free – 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) 
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 7:00 pm

The Telephone Equipment Distribution (TED) Program provides a variety of adaptive phone devices to people who have difficulty using the phone. People who are deaf, deafblind, hard of hearing or who have a speech or physical disability often find these devices make using the phone easier. Devices are loaned at no cost to those who qualify, for as long as they are needed. 

For Eligibility Requirements and How to Apply

Access forms, income and asset guidelines for cash, medical, and food support programs at the DHS website.

For online payment of: MinnesotaCare, Parental Fee, MSHO, MA-EPD, and SNBC, access the Web Payment Service.


Lake of the Woods County actively pursues and investigates cases suspected of having fraudulent activity.  Receipt of benefits such as Food Support, Cash Assistance, Medical Assistance and Child Care may be based upon who is living in the home and the income and/or assets of all or some of the household residents.

If a person intentionally gives false information or conceals facts about their situation in order to receive or increase their benefits, they may be subject to prosecution or administrative action. This could result in felony level charges, sentencing and disqualification from receiving more program benefits.

Suspected abuse of public assistance programs may be reported anonymously by calling the Regional Fraud Hotline at 218-333-4278, the Department of Human Services State-Wide Hotline at 1-800-627-9977, or by completing the Online fraud reporting form.


Applicants or clients who do not agree with an action taken on their case have the right to appeal. If you ask, you can continue to receive assistance while waiting for the appeal to be heard. However, if you lose the appeal, you must pay back any assistance received during that time.

For most programs, your appeal request must be in writing.  These requests can be made by mail, fax or in person to the Appeals Division at the address and fax number below. You can also file an appeal online. To appeal online, go to Appeal to State Agency.  SNAP appeals can also be made verbally by calling the Appeals Division at the telephone numbers listed below. 

You may bring an attorney, advocate, friend, or relative to the appeal hearing. The State of Minnesota will send a written decision to you after the hearing. 

Minnesota Department of Human Services Appeals Division

PO Box 64941

St. Paul, MN 55164-0941

Phone: 651-431-3600

Fax: 651-431-7523

For more information on Appeals.


Decorative Line


Amy S. Ballard
206 8th Ave SE, Suite #200

PHONE: 634-2642
FAX: 634-4520

Decorative Line


Please fill out our satisfaction survey by clicking the button below.

Decorative Line


The Social Services Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. To file a child protection report after hours, call Law Enforcement at 218-634-1143 or our after hours children’s emergency response number at 218-395-0177. We accept collect calls before 4:30 pm.